The Pink Adventures of the Drift Bunny

The Pink Adventures of the Drift Bunny

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Track Life

Last week was Formula Drift; we went to Press day on Tuesday and attended both qualifying and the main event. I decided to sit out shooting on Friday and enjoy the event as a spectator while hanging out with Yukio which was a really nice change of pace. It's different shooting specific drivers and not shooting everyone, but it was a good experience none the less, it will only help sharpen me as a photographer.


Fun fact: we just got internet access in our apartment, it has been about 3.5 months.
No complaints here, I moved in with a bachelor who travels constantly so I understood why it was the way it was. The good news is, I got to see my chookio more and more since he could do a little work from home. I was still day dreaming about all the fun we had over the weekend I almost forgot to look forward to the Grand Prix up this weekend. Our schedule is a little hectic for the next week; Grand Prix, IDRC (drag racing), and Las Vegas for the SEMA exhibitor summit from Monday to Wednesday. It was so refreshing to see something other than drifting, which don't get me wrong, that is where it all began for me, but my motorsport interest has matured into other reaches of the Industry and I was mostly looking forward to seeing the Prototypes compete in the Tudor Challenge/ALMS race. The Grand Prix involves a ton of walking around, but it is so worth it, especially if you are there to absorb and learn about several types of racing. Yukio's company sponsors some cars in World Challenge and Prototype; for some reason, the WC teams did not compete, but the two Sky Active Mazda cars did. Quite honestly, they got chewed up, but that's okay! That just leaves so much opportunity for growth after development.



Hearing what ALMS and World Challenge cars sound like up close and in person was like hearing the motorsport angels sing; Ferrari, Cadillac, Porsche, Audi, BMW... So Incredible! When the bunch of ALMS cars accelerated after the hairpin it was like all 9 years of drifting excitement was bubbled up into those few seconds of glorious roaring. Ferrari was so loud, you could here that driver spool up over the bunch of 6 other machines; one of the most amazing sounds to hear in person. Our friends Cuban, Kevin, and Travis were with us too, talking good shit and making even better jokes, I couldn't ask for a better experience than laughing and watching some amazing racing.


At the end of the evening, Motegi has their "Super Drift" Challenge where 16 drivers from the series compete instead of the usual demo they put on. I feel like that was a good move in terms of showing what Formula Drift is really like and will bring in a load of new faces for Irwindale or perhaps out of state events.
Yukio had to shoot photos and do all the social media stuff in the photographer pit both nights, so last night, I hung out with my new friend Ari in the spotter tower to which I found out was a suite for spectators too! Of course, it's not free and I could imagine it costs a pretty penny to be there... When the competition began, chooks came up and watched with us and we all had fun despite the chilly weather. Everyone did a great job showcasing what the series is about, and just from hearing the comments from new faces, this league is only going to continue it's rapid growth.

After the excitement, we finished with dinner at our favorite ramen spot in Gardena. Super authentic, and one of the best tasting hot meals for when it is cold.

Today is IDRC in Fontana, Import drag racing. I was going to go with Yukio again, but there was one problem; laundry. We need some fresh laundry for Vegas, and in the midst of the racing excitement, it kept getting put off. So I decided last night to stay back, clean our apartment, and make sure we have clean clothes for our trip. I guess that's love, right? I want to be supportive in more ways than cheering for my boyfriend's sponsored drivers, so hopefully cleaning today will do the trick (I know it does).

I am excited to leave tomorrow and spend a little time with my lovey out of state even though this is a work trip, but he will be traveling internationally and all over the US soon. We are trying to spend a good amount of time together before he is gone for basically 6 weeks. This is one of the aspects of my relationship I am going to have to learn to deal with in a positive manner, since we have basically been together since October. Time apart is good, but it will be a good challenge.

Well, it is time to watch a few of my favorite shows then start cleaning up a bit. Viva Las Vegas in the AM!

xo Drift Bunny  

No comments:

Post a Comment